Monday’s Meal: School lunch-Three Bean Chili
Today was the first day back to school for my kids. I did not do anything creative for their school lunches today. Rather, I packed them my homemade Uncrustables that I’d posted about a couple of weeks ago here. I premade the “uncrustables” last week and put them in the freezer. It made lunch packing a breeze this morning. Thank goodness for that, because the rest of the morning was pure chaos!
Today’s recipe I’m bringing to you would be great this winter. Pack it in a thermos and they’ll have a good hot lunch when it’s so cold out! Thanks to Giant Eagle for the recipe idea!
Three Bean Chili
- Prep Time: 01:15
- Total Time:
Beans should be rinsed and drained prior to recipe preparation. For a lower fat alternative, substitute ground turkey or chicken for ground beef.
- 1/2 cup onion, diced small
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb. pound Giant Eagle lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/8 ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 can Giant Eagle stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz. size)
- 1 can Giant Eagle tomato sauce (15 oz. size)
- 1/2 can Giant Eagle tomato paste (6 oz. size)
- 1 can Giant Eagle dark red kidney beans (15.5 oz. size)
- 1 can Giant Eagle Great Northern beans (15 oz. size)
- 1 can Giant Eagle butter beans (15 oz. size)
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook onions, garlic and beef for 8 minutes or until beef is browned and crumbled. Stir in chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Transfer beef mixture into a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Stir, making sure all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover and cook on high for one hour until beans are slightly softened.